Guidelines in Purchasing a CB Radio
Are you contemplating of purchasing a CB radio in the coming days. If you are, then you need to fill your mind with some worthwhile information about this kind of radio first. Kindly read on to the next few parts of this article in order to be guided on how to purchase a CB radio.
1. CB or Citizens Band Radio Service is a kind of radio communication that falls under Personal Radio Service or PRS. This radio, like the rest of PRS types, is intended for different kinds of consumers, whether individuals or business entities. To operate a CB radio, a license is not required.
2. CB service operates on a good number of shared channels in a SSB or Single SideBand mode and AM mode. If you choose the SSB mode, the advantage is you get lesser noise and you enjoy a wider range. You can only reach out to other SSB radios when you are on this mode.
3. Using a CB radio does not have age requirement. The truth of te matter is that anyone may use the CB. Foreign governments, their representatives or agencies of the federal government are not allowed to operate the radio.
4. Frequencies and channels on CB are not assigned to a particular individual or group. As is usually the case, you may use a CB radio on 40 channels and frequencies.
5. CB has a short range and that is because it is meant to be utilized only for local communications. However, a user like you can potentially increase your radio’s range by following the method called shooting skip. But be sure to still follow the guidelines of the FCC in order not to be answerable.
6. As already mentioned, CB radios run on 40 shared channels. It is therefore understood that common etiquette needs to be exercised when communicating with other users. For instance, a user should not be conversing with another station in more than 5 minutes. Another thing, it is recommended for a user to wait for one minute before getting on with another communication.
7. As you move your way to purchasing a CB radio, one very important radio equipment that you should not miss to pay attention to is the antenna. If you purchase a handheld CB radio, an antenna is most of the times included in the package. However, they are not included in other units. This means to say that you need to look for one and buy it. Basically, the performance of your radio can be affected by a lot of ways by the type of antenna you purchase. It is for this reason that you have to be the most careful when purchasing one. Before buying, do check out all of your options and identify their respective advantages and disadvantages.
Recommended reference: wikipedia reference